Monday, October 02, 2006

Elk bugleing

This pass weekend I went to rocky mountain national park with some friends and listened to the Elk bugle. It was quite the experience, very much different from my expectations.

I figured there would be these deep booming mating calls that would echo across the valley as the male elk tried to attract mates. Instead they made these rather high pitched squeaky sounds. If you've ever watched a movie that had whale calls they sound JUST like the elk.

The most exciting point came when we had layed out our picnic dinner and the closest herd of elk which were only about 75 yards away all turned and started coming right toward us. There were a tense few moments before they turned and ran off down the hill.

Pictures should appear soon once my friend with the camera emails them to me. :)

No comments: