Saturday, July 12, 2008

Montenegro

Well what should I say about Montenegro? It is awesome doesn't quite do it justice. Its about as close to heaven as a third world country can get. Where we are is this small town nestled in between mountains an ocean. To be more accurate its on a giant bay so we dont get waves like the real ocean would have. But its just perfect for swimming.

I think I would like to come back here on personal vacation some day.

The only real down side to the place is that the country has been through a really chaotic last 50 years - esp. the last 20 and only got its independance 5 years ago. So most of the infrastructure is at least 50 years old. Today the water is out in the hotel so we cant shower or use the toilets. The power has gone out several times. But really no one has seemed to mind much. I just feel blessed to be here.

Tomorrow the Serbian students arrive for English camps. The camps are called 'Speak Up!' and the idea/theme is that everyone has a story and we are inviting the Serbian students to come share their stories as we share ours with them. I am really looking forward to the camps. (there are 2 camps each a week long).

Please pray for all of us as we will be very busy during this time and if the last few years of camps is any indication we are in for a rough ride. The stories we've heard are that God uses these camps in mighty ways to advance his kingdom amongst the Serbians. We've also heard that in the past many of the America students become overwhelmed and start to break down during this time. My role for the next two weeks is to support and just be available to help any of the American students that are struggling or being attacked by the evil one.

I definitely desire your prayers for Christ to fill me with his wisdom and love so that I am able to refresh and encourage the American students as they are pouring their lives into their Serbian counterparts.

***Note: i just reread all that and I realize that what I wrote may convey an image to you back home that we are really roughing it here what with water outages and nervous breakdowns. That couldnt be further from the truth. I feel God's presence so intimately in the midst of all this. I was not kidding when I wrote earlier that I feel blessed to be here. God is active in our midst.

No comments: